Search This Blog

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Innsbruck Ambulance


I haven't much to do, breakfast is just over, it's chilly outside, so I just sit there and fool around with my Picasa 2.
I find an image which has puzzled me then and makes me wonder now:
Why in hell would the City of Innsbruck call its "Rettungswagen" an Ambulance
and what is more, They call it: "First Responder."
Don't they speak German anymore in Innsbruck?
Is there not a perfectly good German word for "First"?
I remember one: It's called: "Erster" (masculine form)
Is there a German word for "Responder"?
Yes there is: It's called: "Antworter"
And if this sounds a bit clumsy, there are other words Innsbruck could use:
"Erste Hilfe" ( First Help) comes to mind....But "First Responder" in the heartland of German speaking Tirol?
This is almost funny, if it were not sad.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: