Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wien - Vienna - Vindobona

Call it by any name. It remains a beautiful, lively City. Right now it's almost a little too warm. 29 degrees as listed by Google. On the sunny side of the street, I bet it's more than 30.
Talk about repairs and maintenance and restoration and refurbishing and re-doing and how many more "re's" are there? The Kaerntner Strasse and the Graben feature a number of small construction sites. They are relaying pipes and lines and to do that, you have to rip up the surface. They tell me that at the same time they will resurface all of the pedestrian zone. That's the Kaerntner strasse from the Stephansplatz up to the Opera, and the Graben from one end to the other. I have seen architect's drawings of the finished product. I think it'll be truly lovely.
I've mentioned before that the Stefansdom is still being restored. The Karlskirche has been and still is being restored on the inside; and what a job they are doing. Many other buildings, publicly and privately owned are being restored as well.
So, if you want to make a living in Vienna, start a business as a pipe layer, a brick layer, a building restorer, a painter, a scaffolding erector, a crane operator, an operator of a front end loader, a digger, an asphalt layer, an Architect and/or an Engineer.
They work noisily until noon, then things quiet down a little.
Tonight I will be in the "Goldener Saal" of the Musikverein. Mozart is being played there. I ordered the tickets through the hotel and I am getting a "free" anniversary CD of the Vienna Mozart Orchestra. Afterwards, in order to keepp our tradition alive, I will have a piece of "apfelstrudel" and a cup of coffee in the Imperial Hotel...One of Vienna's Finest....
Tomorrow I plan to take public transportation to Schoenbrunn and will make an afternoon of it. I have changed my mind: I will not drive to Eisenstadt.
My right foot is still bothering me quite a bit and I am limping. So today I did not venture far from my hotel. every so often I go to my room to give my foot a high positioned rest.
A few more days and I'm off to Braunau where I look forward to a party, to which, I hope will come ALL the family and some friends.
This adventure is slowly drawing to an end, and this Blog will be but a distant memory.
Till then:
Greetings from Vienna!
Bert, of the firm of "bertstravels....."

1 comment:

Lianne said...

Blog coming to and end? I think not! There are many more places to visit, Florida Keys for a start, and this blog had better continue lest you shrivel up and freeze to death in bleak cold miserable Toronto. Don't forget, I know where you live and I will pester you until you take off for some other adventure somewhere warm and wonderful.