Search This Blog

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Photography: Yes or No !!!???

There are any number of places where you are asked "No Pictures, Please"...in other places Photography is "Strictly forbidden"...some places just ask: "No Flash Photography"
There are a number of prohibitions which I readily understand: You don't want tourists wandering about a church during a religious service, taking pictures left right and centre. You don't want people popping off flashes all over the place, since this tends to annoy other visitors, be this in a Museum, an art Gallery or a performance...
So, if the reason is clear to me, I don't bother. I don't ask and take no pictures. Simple.
But if the reason is not clear to me, such as in a church when there is no service, in an Art Gallery, not using a flash, then I usually ask: "Excuse me, why am I not allowed to use my camera?"
I would like to tell you here the three most interesting answers:
Answer #1.) You may not take pictures here, because I am told to tell you this.
Answer #2.) You may not take pictures here, because the rays coming from your camera, even without using a flash, will damage the paint on the picture." I ask: Excuse me please, which rays are those?...."Well", so went the answer, "the rays coming from your camera, of course"..."But", I say, "I am not using a flash"...."doesn't matter" comes the by now somewhat impatient reply, "the camera sends out rays. How else could it capture the picture?"...well....I didn't know that.
Answer #3.) "I have no idea. I suppose they want to sell their own post cards"...a refreshingly honest and intelligent reply.
Well, those are the trials and tribulations of a Photographer. (In the Liechtenstein Palais, I had an attendant follow me wherever I went, with my camera slung over my left shoulder. We kept smiling at each other....by the end of my tour we knew each other quite well.)
Greetings from Vienna
bertstravels...

FOTOGRAPHIEREN...JA ODER NEIN

Es gibt Plaetze wo es einfach heisst: "Bitte nicht Fotographieren"
In anderen Lokalitaeten wird "Fotographieren strengstens verboten"
Es gibt natuerlich Plaetze wo diese Hinweisung verstaendlich ist. Da frage ich nicht, sondern halte mich an dieses "Verbot".
In Kirchen, waehrend eines Gottesdienstes, moechte man es nicht gerne, wenn eine Horde von Touristen herumwandert und links und rechts Aufnahmen macht. In Ausstellungen oder Vorfuehrungen waere es unsinnig mit Blitzlicht herumzuschiessen.
Aber, wo es keinen Sinn macht, sowie in einer Kirche wenn kein Gottesdienst gehalten wird, und kein Andachtswinkel besteht, oder, wieder ohne Blitzlicht, in einer Ausstellung oder Vorfuehrung, dann frage ich: "Entschuldigen Sie, warum darf ich hier nicht fotographieren?"
Ich moechte Euch hiermit die drei interessantesten Antworten erzaehlen:
Antwort #1.) Sie duerfen hier nicht fotographieren, weil man mir sagte, Ihnen das zu sagen.
Antwort #2.) Sie duerfen hier nicht fotographieren, weil die Ausstrahlungen von ihrer Kamera die Farben der Bilder beschaedigen wuerden..."Aber", so erwiderte ich, "ich benuetze kein Blitzlichtgeraet"..."das spielt keine Rolle: Ihre Kamera strahlt trotzdem Strahlen aus. Wie sonst koennte sie ein Bild machen?" (...ach so ist das, das hab ich gar nicht gewusst.)
Antwort #3.) "Keine Ahnung! Ich stell mir vor, die wollen ihre eigenen Ansichtskarten verkaufen." ...Eine erfrischend ehrliche und intelligente Antwort....
Im Liechtenstein Palais, mit Kamera ueber die Schulter tragend, wurde ich von Raum zu Raum von einem netten Fraeulein in Uniform verfolgt. Wir tauschten Laecheln aus und am Ende meiner Tour kannten wir uns ganz gut.
Ja, so geht's einem Fotographen...
Gruesse aus Wien
bertstravels.

No comments: