Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Zambia, here we come!!



ADVENTURE ZAMBIA

I flew from Vienna to Frankfurt, then to Lusaka.
John came from Toronto via some circuitous route.
We met in Lusaka.
Since it was late in the evening, we stayed in a downtown hotel, waiting for our new Guide to meet us there early next morning.

My name is Duncan James Anderson, DJ for short. I will be your Guide for the duration of your stay at Kafue National Park.”
So, with this direct, no nonsense approach did this Safari start.

No sooner had we entered Kafue N.P. Then we saw this rarity of all rarities.



John spotted it first: Off in the distance: "The Two headed Hippo."

My Telephoto brought it close. Indeed it was: 

The  '"Twoheader"



There is something to behold” John said with a grin: “The rare 'Two headed Hippopotamus' or as it is called in Pig Latin, the 'Hippo Due Capi'
As we came a little closer, John's “Two-header” turned out to be two Hippos standing side by side. It was good for a laugh, anyway.

The trip to our base camp was long and slow. The road conditions left something to be desired.
While still on the major road, Citizens of nearby villages lined the highway, offering vegetables and fruits for sale.



"Umuntu ni Lungu" for President.
Did she vote for him or just sit on him?



"Mory" Baby Hair Salon!
somehow this name rings a bell.



The very best Sweet Potatoes, Onions and Tomatos.
 But where we are going, we won't do any cooking. Yeah!


Once we left the highway, turning off onto a secondary road, we saw a variety of wild life.
Aren't you get your cameras going?” John asked.
I would, if the ride was a little smoother, and if we stop each time there is a Painted Dog or an Impala a few yards off the road, we'll never get to our base camp.”
I guess you're right.” said John. “It's just that I am not used to you without a Nikon in your hands or hanging around your neck.”
We're almost there.” James was trying to avoid another major pothole.

Then, a little while later, we saw the first structure of what was to be our base.
Musekese Camp.
A hot cup of Coffee, or a cool glass of Ice-Tea together with some tasty finger-food awaited us there.
What luxury. We did not have to prepare our own food or refreshments.
The bed was actually a bed in a large tent, featuring a shower and toilet en-suite.
No mosy-tent this time. No sleeping on the ground.



The Day-Room and Dining area.
What Joy!


 Although this is a double Room, 
John and I occupied one room each.


Government Regulations demanded that an armed Guard
was to be our protector on any "Hiking Safari."


James Duncan Anderson, (J.D for short)
was our knowledgeable, friendly guide for the duration.

This way,” John observed, “we live in luxury, but we're not as close to the action.”
There will be plenty of action,” JD assured us. “The difference is that at night you'll be safe and sound here. There have been a number of Leopard sightings. We will do a Night Safari tomorrow and I'd be surprised if we did not run into one of these cats.”
What's on the Agenda for tomorrow during the day?” I asked.
I have arranged for a Walking Safari for tomorrow during the day. The law here requires that an armed guard must accompany us on such a hike.”

After a plentiful breakfast, JD and the Guard were already waiting for John and me, and we were off on our hike. And what a hike it was. I don't even want to begin with a list of sightings. Let me just show you some of the wildlife which looked at us with the same curiosity as we had for them. 







Before we go on to the next sighting, let me tell you the story of the Kudu and the Nyala:

as it was told to me by our protector.
When Good Mother Nature (GMN) had produced one of the Kudus, he (it had to be a male) looked at himself in a puddle and was totally unhappy with what looked back at him. He, at once, went back to GMN, complaining about his looks:
"I'm kind of a drab brown, with a few indistinct stripes down my body. There's nothing exciting about me. How will I attract the "fairer sex" you told me about, whatever that is, when I look, I hate to say so, kind of drab.
So GMN took him by the horns and painted him with black ankle socks, light brown knee socks with  "White,Black, White" markings on his upper legs. A white tie, low on his neck, white strip around his lips and a similar white stripe between his eyes.
Since GMN had to hold him by his horns, they got straightened out a bit.
So there you have the difference between the Kudu and the Nyala

It had been quite a hike, but tomorrow would be another day. 
"I would love to see a Leopard." I said. "I've been  in various places in East and South-East Africa, but have only  once seen a Leopard's top of the head peeking out over tall grass.
"There is a good chance that you will see one. Because tomorrow we shall go on a night-drive, and Leopards, like most cats, love to hunt by night.
This night I dreamed about a Leopard.





























































No comments: