Search This Blog

Friday, April 10, 2020

At the time we didn't know it was a MOCK ATTACK!



A short Story about a Mock Attack!
or:
Moses up a tree!

Kel, my faithful friend, was on the telephone again.
Hi Bert, how're you doing? Is everything okay in your neck of the woods?”
Without waiting for an answer, he excitedly continued:
I'd made an application to visit Bambuzi so long ago I'd almost forgotten about it.
A few days ago it was granted and I may bring a party of twelve to this place.
There will be Tina and Grant and Christopher and Kate. So there'll be five of us, Shirley and Mary, four of the Guthrie and you.
Believe me, Bert, it will be worthwhile” he said.
Come on, let's make a plan!
Bambuzi will be absolutely fabulous. You can't get much more remote than this.
It's in the most remote corner of Hwange National Park.
There is more wildlife than, as you always say, you can 'shake a stick at.”
Without a moment's hesitation I said: “Okay, Kel, I'm in.”

***************


From Kel's home in Harare we drove to Bambuzi.
Sounds simple, doesn't it?
Let me tell you, if somebody said “remote corner” they were not just kidding.
After some problems with the Guthrie's vehicle we made it to Bambuzi.
This is how it happened. On several occasions, somebody had to leave the lead truck
and scout the route, trying to find an old track.



On the road, two lonely, hidden shacks.


For a Zimbabwean, problems are the norm. 
They say: 'Let's make a plan' and somehow things will work out.' 
Most often they do.
We arrived later than planned, were introduced to our Guide, Moses, and it was suggested that we should all 'sleep in' and get a rest from the problems of the last days.
I came too far for a rest.” I said.
If nobody minds I would like to go on an early morning hike with 'Moses.”
Kel's son Christopher asked to come along.
If your parents are okay with it, I'd love you to come.” I said, and so it was arranged.
I slept like the proverbial log throughout the night and woke up at six in the morning only because Moses shook me:
Get up, Mr. Bert, Get up. Coffee ready and a sandwich. We go on hike one, two hours.”
Christopher was already up and ready to roar.
Everybody else was still sawing the log.
My 'forever' gear, one of my cameras, a great Zoom lens, mounted on my tripod, and we were off.
Moses gave the instructions I have heard so many times:
When raise hand, ever'body stop.” Okay?”
Christopher and I nodded in agreement.
For the next half hour no word was spoken.
There were birds without number.
We walked silently, knowing full well, that we'd see something soon.
What would it be? Buffalo, Elephant, Impala, Waterbuck, maybe a Lion.
Then Moses gave the signal: Raised hand!
Ever'body stop.... I hear something.” he whispers.
You stay here. I climb tree to see”
There was a tree, leaning about 60 degrees.
Moses starts to climb, with his gun slung over his shoulder.


 Two quick shots of Moses "up a tree".






I look straight ahead.
There are dense bushes. Visually almost impenetrable.

Among the dark green foliage I see something light brown.
I focus my camera on it.
It is the unmistakable head of a male Lion.
I take a quick, poorly focused picture.

The branches confuse the automatic focus selection.
The Lion's head moves a bit from side to side.
I have time for one more shot. Better focus and better lighting.



And then, all Hell brakes lose!

The Lion crashes through the bush.
I hear branches breaking.
The Lion is now tearing up the ground.
He is thundering at us in absolutely top speed.
I remember thinking: “The tripod will give me no cover.”
Christopher stands beside me.
Like myself he is motionless.
Mesmerized.
The Lion is within, I think, 5 meters- or less!
Actually, One does not 'think' !
I did not 'think'.
Was I afraid for my life?
Probably.
I don't remember now.
I did not remember then.
Lightning fast, the Lion, mane flying, eyes glowing
makes an incredible ninety degrees turn.
Dust, dry leaves, branches swirl around us.
For a moment I lose sight of the Lion.
Then the world seems to turn silent.
He is gone.
Beside us, slightly behind us, stands Moses.
He had practically tumbled down his observation tree.
Have you ever seen a Black Man turn pale?
His face was 'single color gray.'
Moses is shaking.
Yet, he places his right hand on my shoulder,
with his left he hugs Christopher.
Lion havin' breakfast. Lion afraid you take his breakfast.
Lion wants eat Impala.
Lion not want eat nice Canadian man.

Chris and I manage a pained laugh.
Although the danger is over, all three of us want to return to camp.


*********







No comments: