Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2020

Giraffes and Zebras



 Giraffes and Zebras


The Giraffe is an even-toed ungulate mammal......

HOLD IT!!!

This is not a biological research paper!
This is a book of pictures which I took during several Photo-Safaris in East and South/East Africa and some interesting facts I was told by my native friends and Safari guides.

Did you know that a Giraffe has as many neck vertebrae as you?”
The Question was put to me by Ant, my trusted guide and friend.
I'm not even certain how many I have. I think its somewhere around seven”
I answered.
Precisely” Ant said. “You have seven, I have seven, my Grandmother had seven and the Giraffe, in spite of its very long neck has seven."
In spite, or probably because of its long legs and neck, the Giraffe moves gracefully across the plains. Gracefully, until it wants to have a drink of water.
Then it must spread its legs for its mouth to reach water level.
Then it no longer looks particularly graceful.
Fortunately Giraffes need a drink only every three to four days.
Another very unique feature is the valve at the base of its skull,” Ant continued his lecture, “which prevents blood from rushing to its brain while in the drinking position.
If you look closely you will see that after a drink, the Giraffe flips its head to re-open this valve.”
A marvelous piece of engineering” John mused.


No, this is not a cheap trick, using photo-shop.
This is NOT a manipulated photograph.
It shows the true relationship in size
between a Maasai Giraffe and a group of Zebras.

*******************



This Chameleon is not even distantly, 
or through marriage, related to the Giraffe.
I just saw it there and snapped a shot












Just thought I'd show it to you again!
It's such a lovely image of this animal.
Doesn't her stance remind you of a Ballerina
taking a curtsy after a brilliant performance?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






Finally, after several attempts, the stance of its forelegs
was wide enough for its lips to reach water level.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, this much for Giraffes.
Come back to this site tomorrow, 
when more entries on this Blog will appear.







No comments: