Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Mount Kenya Safari Lodge

"I've been here once before, but just for "afternoon tea" I said to Glad. "It was during my very first visit with John and one of our clients."
"It's a very exclusive place, mostly for 'members only', but I managed to get us a room for one night, by throwing some names around."
I had to laugh, because it took just one phone call and despite what it says at the entrance gate, I was able to book us into the "Mount Kenya Safari Lodge."  No Problem!
The only name I had to "throw around" was my own.
Since this first visit to Kenya, I had been to Tanzania and Zimbabwe, sleeping in 'mosy-tents and preparing the simplest meals (though always tasty) over an open camp fire.".
This time I succeeded in convincing Glad to come along under two conditions:
"A proper bed at night, with a bathroom. and meals prepared and served by somebody else."
she laughingly demanded.
"You got it! It's a done deal" I said.
and so we ended up at the M.K.S.L.
In luxury it compares to, or even exceeds the "Governor's Lodge" in the Maasai Mara.


From a distance, over the "Putting Green" the chimneyed structures of the MKSL


The gated and guarded Entrance Gate.


It must have been due to the very beginning of the tourist season
that I had no problem getting accommodation,
despite the fact that I was neither a member, nor a member's guest.


A Crane outside our ground floor room.
I had to look twice before I recognized that it was alive.


Entertainment was provided during "Afternoon Tea"



8 Marabou Storks and 7 Sacred Ibises were the only guests around the swimming pool.


From far off: The second highest mountain of Africa: 
Mount Kenya.




No comments: