Search This Blog

Monday, July 21, 2008

Good By, Innsbruck: Auf Wiedersehen

As always, Innsbruck was beautiful and I enjoyed my stay again, even though it rained off and on: a little more "on" than "off"...It matters not. On the keyday, Saturday, it was brilliant Sunshine and I could ascend the Hafelekar and give Gladys this final farwell. There will be one more such "Celebration of a Lady" in Velden on Lake Woerther, another of Gladys' favourite spots. Anyway, Herwig called me yesterday, begging me, not to come to Bonassola....It was, using the best English translation of his expression "an absolutely crummy" place. They themselves were not staying. I will spare you the description. suffice it to say, the place had no "beach', just jagged rocks, so you could really not "go swimming"....The beach, so it was advertised, was only 150 meters from the hotel. 150 meters, almost straight down, which you had to negotiate by hiking almost 500 meters in G.S. style. O, yes, the 5th and 6th beds, one of which was supposed to be mine, were kid's beds, totally unsuitable for an adult....and so it went on...Herwig, Ingrid and Ingrid's brother and wife, are packing it in after one night there and just driving cross country, until they find something suitable. I will got to "Montegrotto Terme" from where I will visit Venice, Padua and other interesting places. So don't cry for me, Argentina...
I don't mind, telling you that every now and then, the emotions get the better of me. I miss Gladys so much, I could die.
Despite the rain, my windows are open. It is not cold. rather warm and a little humid. I hear the noises of the garbage truck four stories down. Sounds silly, doesn't it, but the noises of everyday work are somehow romantic in a place like this.
After breakfast, I'll pack up and see what's new on the other side of the Brenner Pass.
Till the next time
"Pfiat Enk" (translation of this expression into German and then into English will follow only upon request.

Bert

No comments: