Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2015

Prince Karim AGA KHAN

I'm driving North on the Don Valley Parkway (the DVP ) to my home, which is a quick rout from downtown Toronto to the Northern 'outpost', on Regatta Crescent, when all of  a sudden I catch in the corner of one eye a sign, indicating that the very next exit leads to the "Aga Khan Museum".
I change lane safely and leave the DVP. This, I must see,  because I know a little, a very little about the Aga Khan: 
He is the spiritual Leader of the 'Ismaelis', a numerically small branch of the Shia Muslim group.
The 'Aga Khan Foundation' has done many wonderful things, for instance, in Africa.
When in Nairobi I had a very bad attack of a kidney stone, and ended up in the hospital built, financed and operated by this foundation.

I also had a client, who became a friend, in Toronto, who was and is a member of the Ismaelis. Through him I met several others of the same faith and learned something about their religious belief.

I  therefore visited this Museum and, in the area where it is permitted, I took several photographs, some of which I would like to show here.

I can unequivocally recommend a visit to this museum.





Please, be aware that I am showing you here 
a tiny fraction 
of what there is to be seen in this Museum.








"Fountain"
a marble and sandstone mosaic.
Egypt, 16th century and later.



"Ivory Horn"
Sicily, 12th century, with mounts added
in England, 17th century



Oil Lamp Stand
Arab Spain, 9th - 10th centuries.
Bronze



Safavid Carpet
Iran, mid 16th century
woven wool, cotton and silk.



Portrait of a young princess
in court attire
Iran, early 18th century
oil on canvass



Portrait of a Master
of the Armory, in court attire.
Iran, early 18th century



Karim Khan Zand
amidst His close circle
Iran, probably 19th Century



Portrait of Fathali Shah Qajar
Tehran, Iran, early 19th century.


No comments: