Search This Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2015

SCUBA diving in the BVIs

If you've never been 15 meters under the surface you owe it to yourself to try it once.
Just once and you will be hooked.
Captain David gave me meticulous instructions, including the warning to follow his hand signals without hesitation or delay.
The first time under water, with the air supply coming from a bottle on your back, is a real Adrenalin rush. 
Your breathing is fast and laboured and as an amateur you use twice the air of a professional.
David checked my air meter frequently and finally gave me the "up to the surface" sign, which, of course I followed promptly.



In the area of this rock-island it is said that the diving is very good.
So we headed there and tried our luck.


Andy at the Wheel and Peter just enjoying the breeze.


Andy and Peter, just having left the Zodiak

are getting ready for their first dive.


.

This is my Captain cum Diving Instructor, David.
Please note the cool and controlled breathing.
Hardly an air bubble 


Here, surrounded by masses of air bubbles, 
is the amateur breathing hard.
.


I had a small Nikon Underwater camera,
but no underwater light source.
Therefore the wonderful reds, oranges and yellows
are lost in those images.


a large "Brain Coral"


Each time we went down, things became a bit easier, until finally I could make a bottle of air last almost as long as David.
( I said " almost" )



At a depth of between 10 and 15 meters
you float in utter silence and without effort.



No comments: