Search This Blog

Saturday, December 6, 2014

V I E N N A - bits and pieces

Well, I've been back in Bleiburg and to a more regular life for a couple of days now and, going through my photography one more time, I find some pictures I'd like to show you.
There is always the regretful feeling: "I should have posted this one or that one"....
But, you can't post 'em all...
and so I'll show you just a few "bits and pieces" and tell you that we are back again in good old Bleiburg. 
Christin with a new right hip, and I with a new right attitude to small town life.

So here are the "bits and pieces:"


Here is one of my all-time favourite paintings:

Claude Monet (1840 - 1926 )
"The Water Lily Pond"
Everytime I see it, I am reminded of the Water Lilies
in the Hailstorm Creek Marsh in Algonquin Park



Oskar Kokoschka (1840 - 1980)
View of Vernet - les Bains


Marc Chagall  (1887 - 1985 )

"The Kite "


Above and Below:
The work of an unknown  21st Century artist
in the show window of a fashion house on the Kärntner Straße.
Why should these creations not be considered every bit as much as 
works of art, as the paintings of  Monet, Chagall or Kokoschka et al ?


I just wish I had taken more images of these beautiful show window dispays.




A monument to

Price Eugene of Savoy

although borne and brought up in the French Court of  
King Louis XIV
and because of his unimpressive physical stature rejected for the French military,
Eugene served the Austrian Empire of the Habsburgs, for six decades.
Victorious in every battle, he is most famous for his victories against the Ottoman Turks
at the siege of Vienna in 1683 and again against the Turks in the battle of Zenta in 1697.
His reputation as a field commander is unblemished 
and in Austria he was, and is to this day, greatly admired.






No comments: