Search This Blog

Friday, December 5, 2014

HOW NOT TO VISIT ANYPLACE

I love to travel
I would, on a moment's notice, pack my bags and travel to Timbuktu, or anywhere else you might suggest.
That does in no way mean that I am restless or  not happy where I am now. 
I can be happy in Toronto, or just as readily in Bleiburg. Each of these places is beautiful in its own way, and makes me happy because of the people I find there.
Therefore I can visit and live in Toronto and/or in Bleiburg. 
Timbuktu would be fascinating for as long as it took me to explore and photograph all its interesting places and get to know some of its people.
Once I have done this I would want to return "home". 

There is, however, one way I would definitely not want to travel.
You have seen them: A herd of people, lead by a 'travel guide' swinging a stick with a flag, or an umbrella above his/her head, so that the 30 or more followers may not loose their Leader.
If this were the only way to go, I would prefer to stay home.


Here is a warmly clad group of about 25 tourists, visiting Vienna
on a cold and drizzly day in December.
Somewhere, buried in the middle is the "guide"
who explains the significance of this building in the distance.
It was built in 1709 and occupied by the family of the Archduke Marmaduke.
while he was out fighting in some war.....
The guide speaks softly enough, that the tourists condemned to the periphery of the group cannot  hear a word of it.


and off we go to the next building and we hear all about its history.
And we all have to listen to it, whether we want to or not.

If that's the only way I can visit Vienna or Timbuktu,
I'll stay home.

Bertstravels, 
does not need travelling that badly

....