Search This Blog

Sunday, December 14, 2014

I DO NOT LIKE SPIDERS NOR SCORPIONS



I love animals.
Some, of course, more than others.
I love Lions and Cheetahs, and Thompson Gazelles.
Of course I love Kudus, Impalas and Oryxes.
I also love Woodpeckers and Yellowbilled Hornbills.
I love Eagles and I like Vultures,
Dragon Flies and Frogs.

BUT !!!
I do not like Spiders nor Scorpions.
Those seem to me to be merciless killers
without pity, nor empathy.
Of course all the other animals I listed above 
also are merciless killers.
Spiders and Scorpions, however, look the part.
While it is true that Gazelles and Antelopes are not killers,
they too are merciless and without pity.
When one of their own is killed by a predator,
they seem not to care,
but, staying safely out of reach,
they go on grasing or browsing.
Without empathy for the victim of their kind.

Of course I would never hurt a spider nor a scorpion,
would never kill it, but
I would rather stay out of its way.
I would observe it
but I would not touch it.

However, given a chance, I would photograph
a Spider or a Scorpion mercilessly.


So, gritting my teeth, here goes:


What is it, these two have buried in the sand ?
Look closely and carefully.


Day and night they stay with their victims.







They stay with their eggs and, once these are hatched,
they feed from the buried victims of a much earlier hunt.



So that they may become visible during their watch at night
Infra-red photography was used.

Actually, I have a friend who has a lot of wire,
a great deal of talent
and spare time.

In fact, these don't scare
Bertstravels

No comments: