Search This Blog

Thursday, October 16, 2014

This is the end of Autumn ??

....more like Summer in all its glory.
It is Thursday, the 16th day of October.
Air temperature hovers around 23 C. in the sun.
Water temperature in our pool, about 16 C
What the h....  I've been swimming in Canoe Lake in March with Eric Sultmanis, the weekend after "the Ice had gone out" !!!

Eric would call to tell me: "Hey, Bert, the Ice has gone out yesterday ( say Wednesday ) !!!
On Saturday early morning I would hop in my car and drive the 250 km North from my house to Eric's, situated on Canoe Lake in Algonquin Park.
Behind where Eric lived there was a dock from which we would jump into the Lake which featured a temperature of maybe 12 to 14 degrees C....   I do not remember the air temperature but I can assure you that it was no 23...
So we'd jump in, like kids, hollering: "Geronimoooooo"
almost turn in the air... hit the shockingly cold water and as quickly as we could swim back to the dock, climb out and wrap ourselves into a thick towel. 
A few minutes later, back in we went and this time stayed a little longer, getting almost used to the temperature. .. almost, I said..

During that time I was somewhere around 30...   now I am 82 and our swimming pool in the garden has to substitute for Canoe Lake...

Today, I did not holler: "Geronimoooo" and dive off the dock, but carefully climbed the pool ladder, swam a few length and returned to sanity a little later.

Christin took the pictures...

the swimming was done by

Bertstravels.









No comments: