Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Fox in Algonquin

Hiking along the abandoned railroad tracks I saw,out of the corner of my eye something light brown disappear into the bush.
For a moment I thought it was a fox. However, I abandoned this idea quickly. 
It was too close! One moment it was here, the next it was gone, like a brown lightning.
There was a little indentation in the bush, just off the track, which was just right for a short rest and a little noonday snack.
I sat there, quietly, munching on an apple and a slice of dark bread, when, suddenly this "brown lightning" stuck his head out from beneath a bush. And, lo and behold, it was a fox.
A light brown body, with black legs and white markings. 
We both just sat there, quietly looking at each other, not moving. After a good 10 minutes I decided to take a chance and very slowly I reached for my camera, and even more slowly raised it to eye level and took one shot. The fox disappeared back into the bush.
I was certain that he/she would come back and satisfy his curiosity.
I remained sitting as still as I could and in order to avoid any unnecessary movement I left the camera at eye level.

Suspicions confirmed: 

In less than five minutes he was back and curled up as if she intended to stay a while. During the next half hour I took at least 30 shots. 
What a pleasure this encounter was:



It was Autumn, along the Mizzy Lake Trail !...



....When all of a sudden this brown, bushy-tailed wonder came out from the underbrush.



...curiously we eyed each other...


Then she cautiously surveyed her surroundings,
...just to make sure ...


Then, convinced that I was no danger,
he settled down, curled up and with his shining brown eyes
stared  directly into my camera's lens.

1 comment:

Brian Henry said...

I love the fox especially in Algonquin Park where we do our writers retreats
- Brian
https://quick-brown-fox-canada.blogspot.com/