Search This Blog

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Vienna - bits & pieces

I was in  Vienna, but only for three days. It's not possible to do a city of this magnificence justice in such a short time. So, I just went here and there, hither and yonder, and photographed whatever turned me on.
One of the places I always go to is "the Hofburg".. formerly the residence of the ruling family of Austria, the Habsburgs.
The Habsburgs are surely not some of my favourite people, but one cannot think of  historical Austria without also thinking of the Habsburgs.
Their Winter Residence, in the middle of the City, is truly a magnificent building and I never fail to study, in some detail, the statues at the South Entrance, called "The Labors of Hercules".

The South Entrance of the Hofburg



HERCULES FIGHTING; and, of course, DEFEATING 
THE 9 HEADED  LERNEAN HYDRA:



HERCULES FOUGHT  HYPPOLITA; THE QUEEN OF THE 
AMAZONS TO BRING BACK HER BELT TO EURESTEUS


HERCULES


HERCULES DEFEATS THE INVINCIBLE NEMEAN LION


2 comments:

Lianne said...

Um...Hercules and his....boyfriend?

Bert said...

Believe me, that's exactly what I thought... ;-)