Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2014

THE S O U L

The discussions I get myself involved in are truly astonishing and challenging.
I mean, what do I know about a "Soul"? Not much! In fact, next to nothing.
So I reverted to my trusted source: Wikepedia on Google.
"What ?", you exclaim in astonishment, "how can you find your Soul in Wikepedia ?"
Well, I wasn't looking for my Soul in Wikepedia, just what people say about it:
1.) Does it exist ?
2.) Is it something cosmological, three dimensional, or is it a psychological, ethereal phenomenon ?
3.) Is it there, inhabiting our body from birth? or did it find entry at a later stage ? Where, in our body can it be found ?
4.) Does God ( if he exists) have a Soul ? 
5.) Does my dog ( called: doggy-dog-dog) have a soul ? Or is the human being so arrogant that he firmly believes that only HE has a soul ? I understand that way back when in history, Man believed that Woman does not possess such a thing. (can one call it
"a thing?")

Well, the above are probably only the tip of the iceberg as far as questions go.
You may believe me that I spent many an hour reading up on the subject until I came to my own tentative conclusions: 
Nobody knows ! Everybody guesses! And the guesses range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

1.) Does it exist ?  All religions believe that a Soul exists. But each has different versions. Even the multitudinous branches (Sects) of Christianity cannot agree, and have slightly differing ideas about this subject. 
Most Philosophers express their own opinions. Thomas Aquinas, the Catholic Philosopher, for instance taught that all beings have a Soul, but only the Soul of Humans is immortal.
The Stoics recognize 8 different parts of the Soul, ascribing different jobs to each part.
Epicureans determined (how?) that the Soul consists of the finest grained atoms in the Universe. Finer even than the Wind or Heat.
In 1901 Dr. Duncan MacDougall placed persons about to die on a "very sensitive" scale and noticed a weight loss at the time of death. Since this "experiment" could never be duplicated,  it is considered as "scientifically worthless"

The concept that Human is endowed with a Soul, in all its multiple variations, goes back into ancient history.
The Greeks referred to it as 'Psyche', the Romans called it 'Anima', the North American Indians called it something else.
But it all was and is the same: Man's desire for immortality. To satisfy this wish, something better had to be found than the three dimensional body for which it was difficult to make such a claim.
2.) Does it have matter, or is it an Ideal ? Dr. MacDougall certainly thought it had matter and therefore had to be three dimensional. Other, more serious Philosophers also believed that the Soul is cosmological and not just an ethereal idea.
3.) The discussions as to 'when' the soul enters the body was also never ending... and quite frankly, I believe that this is the most unimportant question.

The Believe or Disbelieve in the existence of a Soul is much like the Believe or Disbelieve in the existence of God..

I suppose then, that 
Bertstravel
will just have to remain an Agnostic

.

No comments: