Search This Blog

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Is this even worth a mention?

In my last entry I wanted to talk about the question whether the work of an artist should be judged on its own merits, or whether the artist's moral stature and expressed opinions should be considered in the judgement of his/her work. I believe that I stated my belief quite clearly.

Now for the second issue which was raised subsequently:
Is Peter Handke a "nice man"?
I simply do not know. His loyalty to certain historical persons seems to indicate the contrary..
His behavior during a recent interview by the press would tend to confirm also that he is not a "nice man." 
His choice of expressions during this interview would likely place him into the category of an ill-tempered talking baboon.... no offence to baboons is intended here....
 But: Is his work great literature?
Go, read his work and decide for yourself.
The Nobel Price Awarding Committee seems to think that it is.

 Bertsravels
 likes the only book he read of Good Old Peter.

No comments: