Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Sten Gun and hand grenades !

The second day of May 1945


The rumours are rampant: Braunau has to capitulate officially by 12 noon, or else an artillery bombardment will commence, which will not stop until the town is levelled. With most of the people still in the basements it is hard to understand how rumours travel. They just do.
The artillery fire of two nights ago had mostly been directed against some few hundred members of the German Wehrmacht in the forest area outside the town. Only a few errant salvos damaged some buildings on the main square: The Apothecary got a glancing blow and the church steeple was hit just above the clock face. The main hydro-electric station gets a full hit, knocking out power all over Braunau. White sheets hang from most windows and one suddenly appears high up on the steeple. A strange change from the swastika banners displayed before.

Hermann comes to get me. I can’t stand it in the basement, nor do I feel particularly comfortable in our apartment. I tell no-one. We leave and explore around town. It is uncanny. Not a store is open, shutters still down, and the very few people who are about scurry from place to place. Through the old gate at the end of the square we follow two women pulling a wooden cart. Two huge chestnut trees stand like sentinels in front of the Kaserne. The two women, still pulling their cart, disappear through the small door, set in the large double gates.
We follow and find ourselves in empty military quarters. We see the woman loading uniform-grey bolts of cloth.. I remember one of them bringing a large jar of pickles and some loaves of bread. They look at us askance suspecting rival plunderers. We open other doors and come to the armoury.

There are Sten guns and full magazines lying around. In one corner we find hand grenades, ignition caps and rolls of fuses. We unscrew and abandon the long handles and drop the heads into our securely fastened knickerbockers. Three in each pant leg, gives us 12 hand grenades. An equal number of ignition caps, and a length of fuse wrapped around our waist, underneath our shirts. It occurs to me and I tell Hermann that if one of the grenades were to explode it won’t matter that he is a haemophiliac. We are so used to this fact that we laugh about it. Hermann finds a pair of crimping pliers, which will later allow for the secure fastening of the fuse into the ignition cap. As a last minute thought, he grabs one of the Sten guns and two magazines. He loosens his belt, shoves the Sten down his pants and carries the magazines openly in his hands. We saunter non-chalantly back through the gate, then quickly up to our apartment, where we temporarily stash the grenades, ignition caps and fuse under my bed. At this time we have no idea what we would ever want them for. It gives us a swagger to know what we have done.

When we come to Hermann’s house, the Sten finds a hiding place in the attic. Hermann brings some old rags and the gun, and both magazines are wrapped tightly and wedged in where two beams meet in an acute angle.

It’s noon.

There are now more people in the main square. Some women are arguing with a group of men, among them the town’s Chief of Police.

The women, I know them all, insist that some of the men should row across the river and officially surrender Braunau to the American forces. There is no one left who could possibly fight for a lost cause.
Two groups of five men each finally pile into two row boats and cross the river.

Hermann and I go down to the river’s bank and sit on a concrete boulder, staring into the water which swirls around the torn bridge girders and struts. We munch on some rye bread and an apple each. Kurt joins us and we watch as a platoon of American soldiers works their way carefully across the remnants of the rail road bridge I did not see it, I heard about it later and I have never gotten it out of my mind that one of the Americans drowned in this attempt. I keep thinking, maybe he’s the one who gave us the chewing gum in Simbach and told us to go home. Even as I write this, so many years later, I feel a deep sense of sorrow. The war, to all intents and purposes is over. Maybe he’d written home that he is well, that he’ll be home soon. Then he never gets there. I would like it not to be true.

On the Simbach side of the river, we can make out the beginnings of a pontoon bridge being built.
The speed of progress is unbelievable. I think it takes less than two hours before the first trucks roll over it, and a long snake of infantry soldiers, guns slung over their shoulders walk over the slightly undulating bridge.


*********************






American Infantry and supplies roll across the Pontoon Bridge 
in a seemingly never ending stream. 






************


The fifth day of May 1945
I can hear Hermann’s familiar whistle from the church square below our living room window. I answer as always and rush down stairs. “I must get the ‘pots’ out of our apartment” I tell him. “We are getting 5 American officers quartered in our apartment. If they find the pots, they’ll shoot us.”

Again we walk through the town, heavily armed in our knickerbockers. We go to Hermann’s house. His parents run a knitting mill and a retail store of knitted ware. We sit in his basement, surrounded by neatly arranged shelves full of home made jams, marmalades, fruits and vegetables. I’ve never seen so much food at the same time in the same place. That’s why Hermann never bothers to go “food collecting” with Kurt and me. Hermann opens a jar of sliced red beats and we have ourselves a feast. Even down here we can hear the rhythmic chatter of the knitting machines.

We consider putting our ‘pots’ together with the ignition caps into one of the empty jars and place those in the back row of the preserves. We abandon this idea when it proves that the grenades won’t fit through the jars’ narrower necks. Finally we carefully remove the bottom board of one of the storage shelves and place the potentially devastating explosive cans on their side on the cobble stone ground. We replace the shelve and re-position the jars.

To keep the length of fuse dry, we place it , tightly curled, together with the ignition caps into an empty jar at the back row of the most recently dated ”put up” jam, reasoning that they would stay undisturbed the longest. Hermann places the crimping pliers carelessly into a box housing old tools.
Then we step back and admire our handiwork. “Gosh” says Hermann, “ you’d never suspect.”
Just then I note that it’s not only the clatter of the knitting machines I hear, but also the blood pounding in my head.

When I come home, my mother is frantic. They were looking for me all over, she says. (They weren’t looking in Hermann’s basement or they would have found me, surrounded by hand grenades.)
There is what seems like a whole platoon of American soldiers in our apartment. It turns out that there are five and they want quarters.
They indicate by gestures that they want this room and that one. I muster all my English language skills and tell them: “you cannot have this room. This is our ‘beautiful room’. We use it only when we have visitors.” One of the Americans turns to me. “Oh good, you speak English”. “Yes” I say, “a very little”. “What is your name, please?” he asks politely. I tell him and he says: “ I am Lieutenant Anthony March. Consider us your visitors.” I understand that our “Beautiful Room” in which only rare guests or important relatives, like Onkel Felix, were entertained will now house two or three ‘Amis’.

They talk among each other. I understand only a word here and there. Anthony again turns to me: “Egbert, is your mother a good cook?” he asks. “The very best” I answer. “Good !” Anthony smiles: “Ask her if she would like to cook for us. We will supply the groceries. But she must be a good cook.”
“What are groceries?” I ask Anthony. He explains painstakingly.
I finally tell my mother that they want her to cook for them. She thinks it’s a great idea. She hasn’t really “cooked” in a long time. But she knows how to make cabbage and potatoes 365 different ways.
She loves to cook, and she will be able to do it with real butter, real eggs, fresh meats. She will use some American but mostly Austrian spices.

This is obviously a smashing success. Within a few days, the five who eat here, become eight and sometimes ten.
Among the American Officer Corp, my mother becomes famous.
And I become the semi-official interpreter.

My mother, my sisters and I always eat before our “visitors.” In spite of my urging, and ‘though we are often hungry, mother refuses to use any of “Their Groceries” to feed us. Until one day, Anthony comes early and sees what we eat.
Anthony (by now we call him Tony) calls a meeting. It is their unanimous decision, that the Reitter family henceforth shall eat the same as the “visitors”. This, I have no doubt, is the beginning of my love of everything “American”.

Months later, the Black Cat division is transferred to Gmunden, in those days a three hour car ride from Braunau.

We hate to loose our “visitors” of whom we have truly grown very fond. Two weeks later, Tony is heard by our neighbour, at three o’clock in the morning, calling from the narrow street below:

“Mamma Reitter, Mamma Reitter”
He brought a huge box of “Groceries” and the Reitter family had to get up and have bacon and eggs and milk with “Tony” at 3 o’clock in the morning.
We did not mind at all.

For the next two weeks we lived really well.


*********************







                                                       ************


No comments: