Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Is there something better ?

The saying below was uttered by Baha 'U' Llah, the founder of the Bahai Faith sometime after 1884.
Like every religion, the Bahai Faith speaks of the relationship between God and Man, as well as between Man and Man. (whereby the word „Man“ is, of course, gender neutral )

Many years ago I happened upon this – let me call it - religion/philosophy and I was quite taken by the human to human teachings.
Unfortunately (for me) Baha 'U' Llah also spoke most forcefully about the relationship between „Man“ and „God“ and that is truly where I lost my enthusiasm for this movement.
My opinion about a „concerned God“, the uselessness of prayer and all the nonsensical dictates of the Christian, and all other religions is well known to my friends and to the readers of my Blog.

If I should be asked which I consider the most valuable biblical statement I would have to cite the „Golden Rule“.
Luke 6:31 and Mathew 7:12 both, as well as probably several others, speak of this command:

„Do to others as you would have them do to you“.

Once one can fully accept this „rule“ and actually practice it, nothing else would be of import.

The Bahai Faith too speaks of certain Social Principles:

„Unity of Humanity“ - The world is but one country and Mankind its Citizens. -
„Equality between Men and Women“
„Elimination of all Prejudice“
„Harmony of Religion and Science“
„Independent investigation of truth“
„Universal education“
„Universal Auxiliary Language“

There are several more Principles, which, as an Agnostic, I view with some caution, and some which I simply cannot accept.
I do not believe, however, that any of the Bahai's „mystical teachings“ compare to Christianity's ridiculously threatening prognostications.

I might suggest, that if all mankind would follow the Social Principles of the Baha'i Faith the world would surely be a better place in which to live and those who wish to add the Spiritual, faith-based teachings, may do so if this „turns them on“.

Bertstravels













No comments: