Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

JAZZ spelled with a Capital "J"


Goodman and Miller in the Café Graf

Music is part of our life. My father played every string instrument extant. He was best on the Cello and the guitar. There is a story, that he and his brother got musical instruments one Christmas. Franz, my father, got a violin and his brother Felix got a guitar. They also were enrolled in lessons. Franz would study his violin, but every chance he got, he grabbed his brother’s guitar and taught himself. Before long he played the violin quite well, but the guitar even better. Much better, they say, than his brother Felix. My mother played the Zither and she sang beautifully. She had a light, silvery voice. When we did the dishes after dinner, Irmgard would wash, I would dry, Inge would sit at the kitchen table and knit fancy table cloths with a huge round knitting needle, mother would do something else, but we all sang. Doing the dishes and singing went hand in hand. Often, the dishes long done, we’d still be singing. We sang excerpts from Operettas, we sang Folksongs, we sang Schubert’s “Trout quintet “

In einem Baechlein helle, da schoss in froher Eil, die launige Forelle, vorueber wie ein Pfeil. Ich stand an dem Gestade und sah in suesser Ruh des muntern Fischleins Bade im klaren Baechlein zu.”

I still remember the lyrics. More than sixty years later.

The Americans have just come to Braunau. I don’t yet quite understand it, but I will in the future: they bring us
“freedom liberty and bread.”

I am shortly to discover one other thing they bring:

I bum around in the Main Square, the Stadtplatz.
A few houses down from City Hall is Café Graf. As you walk in you come to the sales section. They sell rich home made chocolate torte, delicious pralines, bon bons, juicy fruit cakes. This is what we call a “Konditorei” At the back is a glass door, which is always open. It leads to the actual “Caffehaus” where you sit at a small round marble topped table and can have all the sweets from the Konditorei, together with strong coffee or tea. You may also have Cognac, various liquors, or a glass of good wine.

All this is hearsay. I am too broke for the Konditorei and too young for the Caffehaus. Every time I pass by, I glance in, because I know, someday I’ll sit in the Caffehaus and eat and drink anything I like.

The Americans seem to like the atmosphere of this little place. They take it over as their club. Now I have friends who will take me there. Richard Keegan for one, but several others too. They bring an electric record player and stacks of records.

This is the place where I first hear Benny Goodman play “Sing Sing Sing” with Gene Krupas unbelievable drum solo and Glen Miller’s “In the Mood,” and the “String of Pearls” and “Chattanooga Choo Choo” with the lush Tenor Sax and vocals of Tex Bennecke. Never, ever before have I heard a voice like Billy Holiday’s.
I am certain I have just arrived in musical heaven.
That’s what music must sound like.
I can feel the pulsating rhythm in my whole body.
I not only hear the melodies but remember them at first hearing.
I hear Music with a capital M.
I know that I have been secretly waiting for this Music.
They tell me it’s called Jazz.
My American friends teach me how to pronounce this beautiful word, so it does not sound like a board game.
I hang around there for days and listen to “Stompin’ at the Savoy”, “Down Under Camp Meeting” I fall in love with Louis Armstrong’s silvery trumpet and his gravely voice.
I listen to Harry James play the “Trumpet Blues” and Tommy Dorsey’s rich trombone.
Who ever heard anything better than Louis Armstrong’s 'Hot Five'.?

I learn the meaning of “Dixieland” and on first hearing I understand that they are all playing around the same chord structure. Everybody improvises like crazy and it comes out sounding beautiful.

But not to my mother’s ears. She declares it:
“unmitigated noise”.
“They are not even playing the same tune” she fusses.

My pleading to listen carefully and she would know that this is beautiful music falls on deaf ears, figuratively speaking.

                                   ***************

The End


No comments: