Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

No! Don't photograph me !





No! Don't photograph me!

It was just outside Nairobi.
A huge market place with hundreds of stands, or rather 'Sales Areas.'
Several sellers offered their ware just on a blanket on the ground.
Others had erected stands, with reed roofs.
A cacophony of voices, a turbulence of movements. Almost dizzying.
I meandered slowly through this maelstrom of humanity. My camera at the ready,
taking an image here and there.
There was this stand from which a young man offered carvings.
Most of them were of the 'tourist market' variety. Some, however showed the hand of a true artist.
With a questioning look and pointing to him and then to my camera, I asked, wordlessly, for permission to take his picture.
He waved his hands, shook his head and in a no-uncertain manner he gave me to understand that he did not wish his picture taken.
There is a belief” I knew, “that with the taking of a picture, or by simply drawing a likeness, the person so depicted would lose part of his/her soul.
This would account for the clear refusal of this young man.
I wandered to the very end of this market. On my return I stopped at this stand with carvings.
Do you speak English?” I asked.
Not very well, but a little” he replied.
Tell me, please, why do you not want your picture to be taken?”
I was certain that I would hear about losing part of his soul.
I wanted to hear it from a believer.
His answer came quickly and without hesitation.
I am from tribe of Kikuyu.
You are Tourist here. You take many pictures. When you return home, you will show these pictures to friends.
You will say: This is Elephant, this is Wildebeest and this is a Kikuyu.

He needed say no more. I understood his reluctance and bought two beautiful carvings.



A very proud and beautiful "Kikuyu" mother!


Sugar Cane tastes best when sucked slowly.


My three favorite Kikuyu  boys.


The talented young carver, who finally consented
 to my taking his picture while at work.




No comments: