Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Africa.... one more time ?


14 times in Africa – innumerable adventures.

It's been 14 times that a plane lifted off in Toronto or Vienna, with me on board,
and landed in Nairobi or Harare.
Looking back, I cannot believe how lucky I've been.
Twice I've canoed down the Zambezi and camped on its shores without a Crock-bite.
I've hiked in the Madusadona, in search of a Rhino, and found one.
There have been some close calls, but nary a scratch did I suffer.
I have always lucked out with my guides. They were all “the best”, but some deserve special mention.
There was “Big George” the first time in Mana Pools.
Closely followed by “Klaus, the Berliner” in the Okawango Delta.
I particularly enjoyed the dry sense of humor of Gavin Ford in the Madusadona.
There was Duncan James Anderson, DJ for short, on the Kafue River and its Tributary.
Vic Chulu took me to the unforgettable Painted Dog Chase of a group of Impala, as well as the annual gathering on a small lake of hundreds of Crowned Cranes at mating time.
And then there was one of the very best: Anthony, Ant for short, Kaschula.
Ant's knowledge of the Flora and Fauna of East and South/East Africa is, simply stated, encyclopedic. His meticulous preparation of a Photo-Safari cannot be surpassed.
He cooked up a storm and his Solar Panel powered batteries kept food and drink in the cooler box always fresh and cool. (How else, do you think, we could have had ice cold Gin and Tonic?)
Writing a summary as this one is always dangerous, since one is bound to forget to mention one or the other person or happening.
There are, of course, other people I simply must mention here:
There is my friend from Hamilton, Canada, “John Nolan” who was an intrepid companion on several of these Safaris, and who, with his undisturbable good humor always contributed a positive attitude to all our adventures.
And Last but not Least, there are Kelvin and Tina Wear, who always opened their home in Harare as our “Jump-Off-Point”, and what's more, they opened their hearts and good spirits and always made us feel welcome.
This book, then, is a small selection of memorable happenings.
Had I wanted to make it “all inclusive” this booklet would have had to become a
tome, counting hundreds of pages.
You just have to be satisfied with the booklet in your hands.


No comments: