Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2020

In the Masai Mara


IN THE MASAI MARA.



There is a border crossing between Kenya and Tanzania which, when you get to cross it, leads you eventually to Keekorock.
But first, you need to convince your guide that, even though there is nobody at the cross-border station, it's alright to enter Kenya.
Sign says: Border Station closed today” Mahmoud was emphatic.
Well, what do you suggest we do?”I asked him? Drive back 3 days to Arusha?
Mahmoud shrugged his shoulders.
Sign says Border station closed. I no can drive across border” he repeated.
I can be as impatient as you can be stubborn” I said, without hope that he understood.
I cannot drive.” His emphasis was not on 'cannot' but on the words 'I' and 'drive.'
At this point, Glad came out of the Land-rover.
She was full of charm.
With a glistening smile she suggested:
Is it Okay if Bert drives, and you and I just walk across?”
Sure” Mahmoud said joyfully.”
Burt drive, you and I walk. Jus' a hunnert meters. Anybody ask me, I say, I got out of car to study Lion track, you go out to see little flower, Mr.Bert hops into drivers' seat, drive off, I hadda come to get back in car, which now in Kenya.
No choice.. No choice.”
This is exactly what happened. Glad and I still laughed about it many years later.

The trip to the Keekorock Lodge over a very bumpy road seemed to take for ever.
Mahmoud was a reasonably knowledgeable guide. He was also a lousy driver.:
The bumpier the road got, the faster he drove.
Very bad road! Why do you drive so fast?”I shouldn't have asked.
Because” Mahmoud explained, “when drive slow, wheel hit every bump. When drive fast, wheel no have time to sink to bottom of bump. Skim from hole to hole drive much more smoother.”

Einstein would have been proud, had he thought of this theory” Glad said amid peals of laughter.


But, you no feel road bumpier, when drive fast?” I was beginning to talk like Mahmoud.
He looked astonished: “No, no, no … drive slow, road bumpy. .. drive fast road much more smoother.

It was, to say the least, a dusty, bumpy ride and we were happy to arrive at
Keekorock Lodge in one piece. How did we get to go to Keekorock Lodge in the first place? How then to the even more luxurious Governors Camp afterwards?
That's an easy one: On my suggestion to come on an 'African Photo Safari,' Glad said
I will go with you anywhere in the world on three conditions:
Number One: No sleeping bag in tent, but proper bed.
Number two: somebody serves at least two meals a day, and
Number three, I do no dishes.
She hesitated for a moment: “Sleep on floor, cook meals and wash dishes?
I might as well stay home. I do that here.”'
When did you last 'sleep on floor'? I asked.
Well, we both laughed and Glad admitted that she had actually never 'slept on floor'.

We had a great time then. It was a good life.

Although she stated those demands emphatically, there was a chuckle in her voice.
Also, I could understand her concerns, having heard many horror stories, at least she always thought they were exciting horror stories, about sleeping on the ground, or in a 'mosy-tent.
She wanted no part of it.

Governors Lodge, even then, was luxury personified. The food, equal to the finest Restaurants in Paris or New York, Wines from South Africa, France and the Napa Valley in California.
Did it compare to a sandbank in the middle of the Zambezi, or to a mosy-tent in the Kalahari?
Of course not. It did, however, have a charm of its own.
After we had checked into our room, Mahmoud met us in the lounge:
Tomorrow morning”, he said, “after breakfast, about 9 O'clock, I pick up for Safari Drive.
Will come back at 11.30 and after you have lunch we go on afternoon Safari till 5 O'clock.”
Mahmoud was evidently very proud of this arrangement.
We will have a slight variation in this” I said:.

Sun-up is at Six. I will have breakfast served for the three of us, here in the lounge at Five thirty.

There will be a sufficiently sized lunch for three, which we will have sometime along our day's Safari. Then, at Sunset, about six o'clock, we shall come back to the Lodge for dinner at Seven.

Safari all day? He asked in astonishment. Sunrise to Sunset?”.
Yes” I said “Safari from Sunrise to Sunset”
Okay! Cost a little more?“ he tried me out for size.
Okay,“ I said „ we decide later, how much more.

And so it happened! We spent a comfortable night.
Bright and early Mahmoud showed up for an early breakfast in the lounge.
This be interesting day“ he volunteered.
Depending on our success.“ I said.
Our generous lunch packet and all of my camera gear loaded and we were off for a Sunrise to Sunset Safari

We had no sooner left the compound of the Lodge, than his portable 'phone rang.
Some chatter in Suaheli and Mahmoud informed us that a Lion with his kill had been spotted nearby and we should quickly drive there.
Glad had settled in her elevated seat in this Safari vehicle.
Okay“ she said, „let's go and see what we can find.“
After about a half hour drive we arrived at the scene. Yes, there was a Lion at his kill. The scene was surrounded by, at actual count, 8 Safari vehicles and combi-cars, with every occupants taking pictures. It would have been impossible to actually take a picture of the Lion having his breakfast, without a vehicle in the background.
you see“ I said to Mahmoud, „that's the reason why we are on an all day Safari.
To get away from the 'tourists'“
We too are tourists“ Glad said and there was not much left to discuss.
As usual, she had hit the nail squarely on the head.
After a while Mahmoud maneuvered our Rover, so that I actually was able to take a few unobstructed, close-up shots.










No comments: