Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Atop the "Koralm" (almost )

No snow whatever in the lower regions.
Not a flake.
So, I decided to drive up the "Koralm" as far as I could safely go.
With no tire chains, no "Four Wheel Drive" I went on my way.
At one point I stopped to take some pictures and could not get the car back into motion, having stopped on an icy patch.
Backing up was also not an easy thing, since I was pretty close to the edge of the road.
Finally, by rocking the car a bit from "reverse" to a low "forward gear" I was able to get moving again. I was not prepared to take any further chances and after having found a wider stretch of this road, I carefully turned around and arrived safely back in the snowless valley.
The pictures I got are worth the pounding of my heart:


The Village of St. Andrae, as seen from half way up the Koralm.
The lower regions are totally devoid of snow, 
with some of the white stuff high up on the opposite hills.


A lonesome farm, just at the edge of the snow.



This is where the going got dicey.
About a hundred meters further up, 
I carefully turned the car around
and breathed a sigh of relief when I got back to bare road conditions.

No comments: