Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

When your heart skips a beat ( #1 )

Morning light breaks through the canopy and although it's only about 6.45AM the cool of the night is giving way and it's getting warmer.
Our progress is slow, which suits me fine. It gives me time to look at the plant life around me.
Moses, our guide, gives us the "stop" sign.
We come to a halt and I place my tripod with camera atop in front of me.
There is a group of Sable Antelopes. Magnificent animals. Black with a white underbelly and horns like scimitars curved back and looking formidable.
Some minutes later we get the "Stop" signal again from Moses.
"I think I hear lion up there", he whispers.
I have not heard a thing except for the wind in the Acacias.
"Stay put here" Moses says. " I climb tree and look."

He shoulders his rifle securely and begins to climb a Maponi tree which has grown at a 60 degree slant.
We watch him.
Christopher points straight ahead of us.
I look in the direction of his outstretched hand and I see:
A Lion head framed in the thicket, his yellow eyes staring straight at us.
The camera on the tripod in front of me.... I look through the view finder and at the same time I trip the shutter....  again and again and again.

I look up and the Lion is charging at full speed at us. There is no time to be afraid. You cannot hide behind a tripod. Christopher and I simply freeze.
The charging Lion comes to within about 10 meters of us (Christopher claims it was more like 5 meters max.), then he 
stops abruptly, grass and earth flying all around him. Then he turns and disappears off to our left into the bush.

Moses comes down from his tree faster than I have ever seen anybody do this. He had tossed his gun down in front of him to make his descent easier. Of course, by the time he is down from the Maponi and grabs his gun, the Lion has abandoned his charge and is long gone.

It's easy for Chris and me to turn pale. But if you have ever seen a Shona turn light grey, it's a sight to behold.

It is only then that I start to shake a little. Chris is totally silent and Moses has "fear" written all over his face.
Of course, it is the fear being confronted by an angry Lion and of losing a client or two.

Once everybody has settled down a bit, Moses explains that this "Shumba" only made a "Pretend Charge."
"He feeding behind bushes.  Lion angry we take away his dinner." Lion just says: "Go away"
Lion not want eat nice tourist from Canada... Lion eat gazelle..."

In spite of these assurances I remember well that "my heart skipped a beat."

Christopher Weare...remember ?

(excerpt from my book: "Safari Africa, 2011")

No comments: