Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

...rain...rain...then more rain...

This is supposed to be Winter.... It's January....  the skiers, young and old are supposed to be on the Petzen, taking all the short runs on top, or taking the long run right into the valley...  12 km from the top of the skiable mountain, right to the now closed hotel at the bottom.
Only at the very top, where they put artificial snow at great cost onto the ground you can ski a bit.
I estimate this run to be about 500 to 750 meters, if that.
The inn keepers and eatery operators are crying the blues. The largest operation, a restaurant and hotel has closed its doors. Two smaller ones are hanging in.
It is a disaster for the area.
Can the gondola lift survive? Should it get more Government subsidies? Should it just close?
A hotly debated subject...

In the meantime, down in the valley, where I live, it just rains...
Not that I would have gone skiing... that's an activity I stopped when I was about 18... Now these numbers are in reversed order...  But I feel sorry for all the young people who cannot go skiing, and I feel sorry for all the merchants, who cannot sell their skies, ski-suits, and all the paraphernalia that is connected with this sport.

It is amazing when you consider how much depends on a few flakes of snow, compared to a few drops of rain.

Greetings from
Bertstravels

No comments: