Search This Blog

Monday, January 27, 2014

I REMEMBER THREE LIONS - when my heart skipped more than one beat.

We, that is John and I and our guide Klaus, are in the Okawango Delta. Our tents are up at "Third Bridge" and we are out for a "Game Drive" when suddenly we spot three Lions very close to a small pond overgrown with purple weed. Two of the Lions, a bit younger than the third one, seem to want to pick a fight with him.
He is trying to drink at the pond, but the other two keep lunging at him, slapping him with their front paws.
All three are growling, it seems angrily. A little while later the two young males decide to go for a drink. The older one strolls off and without a second's pause, the young ones are back at him. Huffing and puffing and growling. Finally the victim of this juvenile attack rears up to his full height and cuffs his two tormentors right in the face. This creates some peace and all three wander off.

This evening we discuss what we witnessed. Klaus insists that this is a somewhat rare occasion, since normally one younger male wants to take over the pride and tries to defeat the reigning male in a battle. The looser leaves the territory.

I am about to fall asleep when I hear the loudest Lion Roar I have ever heard. After this one there are others, roaring into the night. Then I hear a commotion right outside our tent: More roaring and hissing.
John beside me is sitting up like a shot. "Holy cow" he whispers, "what in hell is going on out there"?
More roaring makes my chest literally vibrate. I can not only hear, but actually feel this fight.
"John", I say, "I think these are the three Lions we observed this afternoon. Maybe the fight has really become serious. The roaring, growling, hissing, meanwhile has grown in intensity.
The ground and the tent are shaking as are John and I.
This is the first time that I actually feel fear in my heart.
A yelping as if in pain and then renewed roars.
As quickly as it started so does it finish.
The silence is almost uncanny.
I hear Klaus calling: "Are you guys Okay?"
We answer: "yes we're all right but shaken up a bit."
"Stay in your tent... don't come outside" Klaus advises us.
John and I agree that 10 wild horses could not make us leave the security of our canvas shelter.
I imagine all three Lions waiting behind a Maponi tree just for one of us to step outside and make a good breakfast for the trio.

At dawn, after a long time of silence all three of us venture outside our tents.'
There are Lion foot prints all around us. Some of them are so close that it is a wonder that they did not trip over our Tents'  guy ropes.

                                  *********************
Excerpt from my book: "Safari Africa 2011"

That's the one time there was fear in the heart of

Bertstravels.

Do you remember, John Nolan ?






No comments: