Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Kanibal Bugs

There are not only Lions and Elephants and Giraffes in Africa. There are also "ugly bugs"...

Over there, said Ant, pointing to two trees standing close together. There is the embankment of the Save river, a nice place for lunch. Jumping out of our Toyota Cruiser, (well, maybe I didn't "jump", because at 81 you get out of a high riding vehicle with caution and deliberation ) we explored the immediate area for an even space to set up our 'lunch table'.

No, Ant said, this is probably not the right place. He pointed to the ground and there were hundreds of these beetles. Accidentally I stepped on one or two of them. What do you know,  injured he became the immediate victim of his brethren. 
The closest beetle to the injured one, lost no time in starting to devour his still living mate. 

I don't know why these beetles fill me with revulsion, almost bordering on fear. I look at them and see only an eating machine. Completely mindless, possessing a brain with only one aim: ...eat...eat...eat...

I know that Lions also experience no empathy with their victim. A Cheetah will kill an Impala without a second thought. This I can understand and accept. But when a beetle starts gnawing on his brother who is half dead, I somehow and for some reason draw the line.

We found another place for a quick lunch and then proceeded to look for the shallow to cross the river.

A few days later we witnessed a Cheetah slay an Impala. I remember this with a profound emotion, but not with revulsion or fear. Ant told me the name of these beetles. I don't remember it. Maybe I just don't want to remember it.

That's all about those bugs from
Bertstravels

No comments: