Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

The "Apple Lady"

Well,now, that in Autumn she brings varying kinds of Apples from her farm, just across the border in Slovenia, I call her "The Apple Lady."
"These apples: Gala, very good for eat. .. these, little sour they taste .. make good Apple strudel.."
You buy the apples! Advice is for free.

All during Spring and Summer, every Tuesday, come rain or shine,  she brings all kinds of vegetables.
She brings Beans, Peas, Radishes, Kohlrabi, Lettuce, Beats, ....  you think of it, she brings it.
Her German is very fundamental, I'd almost have to say, halting. My Slovenian is non-existent.

Under a thatch of silver hair two bright blue eyes peer.
Smiling.
In fact, her whole face smiles and it is difficult NOT to buy something from this lovely Slovenian lady, who supplies Bleiburg with the freshest of vegetables and fruits, better and fresher than in the Supermarket.... each and every Tuesday....like clockwork...

I buy something, she weighs it, says: "Four Euros, fifty cents"
I pay with a Fiver and say: Okay.
She puts another two apples, or a bunch of radishes into my basket.
She smiles!
I leave another 50 cents on the edge of the small table.
We grin at each other... It's a game we play....
...the silver-haired, blue-eyed Slovenian Lady and I.


It's Tuesday and the "Apple Lady" is in town.



No comments: