Search This Blog

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Apologies and Mushrooms

It's been a long time since last I posted something on my Blog.
I was so busy producing my "Super show", a combination of all the African Safaris I had undertaken in the past. I had made a show of this trip and an other one of that trip and every one of the 12 Safaris I have undertaken, produced another show.
There were, of course, highlights during each of the "African Safaris" and at last I decided to make a show in which I combine some of these highlights. This, as you can imagine is a lot of painstaking work and for this reason I have neglected my Blog.

It has finally stopped raining but the clouds still cover all of the sky.
This morning, Christin's son, Axel, who is in Bleiburg for a short visit, went for his daily run and came across several "parasols" ( mushrooms ) So he fetched me, because, as he quite rightly thought, these giant mushrooms might be an interesting subject for my camera.
So off we went and below you will find these "exciting" images of "Parasols" ....
( we have eaten them for lunch today and with Axel's exquisite method of preparation they tasted simply wonderful. )


"Parasols" grow best on the sunny side of the edge of a forest.
They can be found in Autum.
The ones we found were about 30 to 40 cm tall 
and measured about 30cm in diameter.





When preparing a parasol for dinner, one discards the stem. Having to support  such a large crown
it needs to grow woody and tough.
The crown is cut into four triangles, dipped into flower, beaten egg and then  very lightly covered 
with bread crums.
For a short time, just a moment or two, placed into sizzling hot oil.

Oh, what a tender tasting feast it is.








No comments: