Search This Blog

Friday, June 19, 2015

My Brother


FOR SIGURD

Written on the plane, on September 8, 1969, carrying me to my last visit with my brother.


There was the mountain
Its peak of solid gold
Dipped in the dying sun –

There was the valley
Its bed of meadowland
And forests green
And silver ribbons – streams

There was the Man
The wanderer of darkened valleys
The conqueror of golden peaks
The Man who always smiled and lived for joy
And dreamed of life
And always lived in happiness

Who always lived in happiness so all engulfing
As the light itself when noon was high
Who touched his fellow man
And spoke directly to his soul
And made him share the happiness
Which bubbled from his smile.

The conqueror of golden peaks
Who brought the gentle light
Down to the darkest valleys

There was the Man
Who roamed the valleys,
Climbed the jagged peaks
And gave his helping hand
To any fellow wanderer
Who stood alone and said: “I can no more”
“Oh yes you can”---
The quick and gleaming smile—
the gentle tug
and freedom once again and golden peaks
as far as eyes can roam.

This final peak
Forbidding in its height and shrouded
In a cloud so black
It suffered light no more
And no man knows what valley lies beyond

“Don’t cross this mountain, Man
don’t cross this peak
to which I cannot follow”

I cry in vain
I am too late.

They tell me, though,
They caught a glimpse of you
And as you looked upon the dale beyond –
They say
You smiled
And went

And for my cries the echo is no more
And so my tears flow uselessly
And no more sun to dry them.


No comments: