Search This Blog

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Some Like It Hot

It's still snowing off and on and it stops only when the temperature drops.
It's cold and the damn snow has to be shoveled from the sidewalk in front of the house.
I really do not like it.
Actually, I absolutely hate it.

I am watching the Australian Tennis Open.
Djokovitch and Andy Murray are in the Final.
After every exchange they wipe the sweat off their faces with towels handed to them by young attendants. They just toss the towels back and never say "thank you"...

I wish I could go outside and be hot, hot, hot... but outside it is cold, cold, cold.
So I seek refuge in some pictures which were taken in warmer climes and at warmer times.
In fact, it was outright sizzling then, and I liked it a lot better than the cold of today and yesterday and likely tomorrow.

So come with me to South-Eastern Zimbabwe, to the almost dry river bed of the Runde.
The sun is blazing from a cloudless sky.
A family of Impala find refreshment in the narrow, shallow rinnsal.
When a herd of buffalo appears, you see the dust cloud first.


to enjoy these pictures you had best view them in the largest possible format.
A small group of male Impala
 find water in a puddle of the Runde river.


Our guide, Ant, and John, my friend and travel companion
also seek refreshment in the less than knee deep water of the Runde.
(I think the hat on a stick in the r/l corner looks funny.)


At first you see dust rising above the bushes.
Then a herd of buffalo appears.
15 to 25 animals first then slowly 50 more until
finally we counted over 250 heads of  'Cape Buffalo'


During the wet season the Runde is a considerable river.
The dry season changes it into a rinnsal.


No comments: