Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Who is he ?

Some time ago I paid a three day visit to Nürnberg, Germany.
Naturally I had brought my cameras along and took many many pictures.
I have been looking at these images and have written to the "Förderverein" in Nürnberg for information.
I am posting herewith two images which puzzle me, although to some extent they are self explanatory:


Here, I am certain we are dealing with "Eve and Adam"
(above and below)
just after they had eaten the forbidden fruit.
They had become aware of their sexuality,
 and in shame they cover their sexual organs
 with  the proverbial fig leaf.
Christianity, of course, connects anything to do with sex
as shameful.



Who is the fellow on the left of Eve and on the right of Adam ?
Might he be God, his body demurely robed from shoulders to toes ?
He wears different head gear in the two sculptures, but,
 and I would love to know the meaning of this, 
His right forefinger points away from Eve, but, follow the trajectory,
points directly at Adam's hidden, fig-leaf-covered penis.
In both images he has a bit of a smirk on his face, as if to say:
"This has put you into trouble now
and it is going to give you a lot of trouble for ever."
This outstretched pointer must have a definite meaning
since the artist of what are clearly two different sculptures
 made a point in repeating it in both creations.
Or, Heaven forbid, maybe the artist made a mistake
 and it should have been God's Middle finger ?

No comments: