Search This Blog

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Perchten Laufen - an old custom

When I was a kid in Braunau am Inn, Austria, lo those many years ago, St.Nicklaus, accompanied by a hellish figure, called Krampus, came to your home ( on the invitation of your parents) on the evening of the 6th day of December.
St. Nicklaus brought small presents, like a little bag of walnuts, maybe an orange or two and surely one or two ginger bread figures in the shape of St.Nicklaus, with a very colourful picture of himself glued to the surface. Krampus would stay in the background,  now and then rattling his chain which was used to fasten  his suit of fur and, depending on the age of the children in the house, he would use his switch, gently banging it against the floor, and in a low voice ask if you had been good all year long.
Modern parents would not even think about traumatising their children in this way. But, heck, I did not become traumatised, grew up a reasonably sane person, although I must have been a little scared, hanging on and hiding behind my mothers skirt.
In spite of this, each year we awaited with eager anticipation the coming of Nickolaus und Krampus.
St. Nick was dressed in a Bishop's white robe with gold embroidery and a bishop's hat, carrying the appropriate staff. He simply was an all-round "good guy".
Krampus was dressed in black fur pants and and black fur jacket, wore a black mask covering his face, with a long tongue sticking out of his mouth between big white teeth. 

I think that I remember this duo only three times: Once when I was maybe 5 years old and once at age 6.
The last time, at age 7 I recognized the voice of Krampus as  belonging to my brother Sigurd, who was 8 years my senior. So when he asked me in this artificial low voice if I had been good, I collected all my nerve and said: "Ja, mein Bruder Sigurd".
The general wave of laughter on the part of my parents and sisters ( I was the youngest of four by 6 years)
confirmed me in my bravery.

Today, this quaint custom has been replaced by the "Perchten Run"  There are, indeed, Perchten clubs in many communities. They hire themselves out to run in an orderly manner through a community's main street.
rattling their chains and making underworld noises. Each "Perchte" trying to outdo the other in sheer ugliness and energy.

Oh well, times, they are achanging.

Have all of you been good all year long ?
So asks
Bertstravels.

No comments: