Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2013

Epicurus

Epicurus,
who lived from 341 to 270 B.C. was a Greek Philosopher.
I recently became interested in his thoughts and began to read as much as I could find about him.
The following is a short, very short summary of his Philosophy: (not my observations)

"Do not fear God
Do not worry about death
What is good is easy to get and
what is terrible is easy to endure."

but I was most impressed by this:

"...nothing should be believed, except that which was tested through direct observation and logical deduction."

This latter truly reflects my belief system, which, of course totally prevents me from becoming a Theist or an Atheist, given that both directions demand the same level of belief. That is, that both statements: "There is a God" and "There is No God" cannot be demonstrated by "direct observation" nor by "logical deduction."

It seems, therefore, that the only acceptable form is that of the Agnostic.

Bertstravels is and has been for a long time  a confessing Agnostic.




No comments: