Search This Blog

Sunday, July 1, 2018

What a shame

I just saw a soccer game, or what passed for one.
Russia defeated Spain after Extra Time, through penalty shots.
Now, I am not telling you that the lads of Willowdale United Soccer Club would have beaten either of these teams, but I guarantee you that they would have played a more entertaining game.
That the Spaniards made over 1100 passes ( the vast majority in their own end or in midfield, against Russia's 450 (or so ) should tell you how boring this game was made by the Spaniards.
In  the beginning I rooted for them, but I soon changed my allegiance, when I saw the shameful way in which the Spaniards made a mockery of the "Beautiful Game":
What incredibly bad coaching must have fashioned a group of talented players into an inefficient, lazy, bunch of standarounds. (with the exception of a few minutes toward the end of overtime.)
I was happy to see this team punished by a team of far less talented individuals, playing a desperate defensive struggle with greatest effort.
Well, that's it...
The world is changing: Italy did not make it into this competition! Germany did not make it into the knock-out portion, Messi is out, so is Ronaldo.
What does this tell you?
Talent alone is not enough. It takes teamwork, dedication and aggressive play.
Thousand passes in midfield won't do it.
In case you don't know: The Name of the Game is: Scoring more goals than your opponent.

That's what
Bertstravels 
has always believed.

No comments: