Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2016

Spell check ?

The "Spell Check" on my e-mail either has a great sense of humor, or it is in dire straights in respect of translations from German to English:
When in my e-mail I use the words: "Bleiburg" ( the town in which I live ) or "Klagenfurt" ( the Capital of Carinthia) it underlines these words in red, telling me that there is a spelling error.
Usually I ignore this message, because I know how to spell these names.
The other day I decided to check what "corrections" my spell check would suggest.
Here are the results.  No foolin' that's what my spell check suggests as alternatives to 

Bleiburg:  Bedbug, Bluebird, belabour..

I can accept Bluebird.  But Bedbug?

Klagenfurt:  Gelignite, Jackknifed, Golconda, Collectivity.

If I am  not mistaken, Gelignite is an explosive, and "jackknife" is what a truck plus trailer may do in a accident. Also, when I was a kid, I had a jackknife, with a wooden handle...

For Bleiburg, at least, my spell check looked for words starting with the same letter.
but Gelignite or jackknifed instead of Klagenfurt ?????

I am now convinced that there is a little man sitting in the Spell-Check department of my computer who has a weird sense of humor, tries to find the most outlandish Spell-Corrections and is killing himself laughing at my amazement.


Bertstravels
has found a new computer game.

1 comment:

Lianne said...

You know - if you right click on the underlined word you can add it to your dictionary, thereby removing the red underline forever - unless you misspell the word again of course.