Search This Blog

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Springtime




IT'S  SPRINGTIME AGAIN

Now I can see you
Now, that the gutters weep with molten snow
And grey grey pavement lies in blotches
Now I can see you.

Now, that you’ve lost the mantle
Which you bore
So destitute and cold
It covered you
And smothered you
And brought not comfort
And brought not pity

Now that the sun rides higher in the sky
And conquers the low roof lines
Which you once called your own
Your house
Your home
Your very own
Now I can see you

Now that the sun, the ultimately conquering,
Sheds golden light upon your broken wing
Across the gables of weather-beaten roof lines
Over the dark-red dilapidated,
Miserable houses
Which are but once removed
From Cabbage town
Now I can see you once again.

Where have you been?
This winter was so long
And I was certain that you’d gone South
And I was with you
In the land
Of warmth and gentleness;
And all the time
Unknowing
I walked on you with rubber boots and treaded you
And all your dreams
Into the newly fallen snow.

Now I can see you
Re-dream your dreams
Which surely you have dreamed
Re-dream my dreams
Which I have dreamed

Where have you been?


Freezing
Rain
Falling
Monotonously
Soaking into your feathered dress
Chilling your hollow bones
And stilling your fast beating
Heart

Snowflakes
Mixing with
Black soot 
of this Giant city

No longer white
Even before they come to rest upon
Grey grey asphalt
Just yards
From where I park my heavy car.

Why did you stay?
What kept you here?
Amongst those old
Not ancient
Just old and weary houses?
What beauty did you find
‘Midst these drab old houses ?
Not even graceful in their age
Just old and weary.
Why did you stay? What kept you here?
What beauty did you find?

And in your otherness
You were alone

In this Metropolis of Millions
You were alone
When all the others left
You dared
To stay behind
Alone.

You may have brought
A quick sharp stab of life
To those, inhabiting the houses,
As old and weather-beaten as the roof lines
Over which the sun now rises.
A quick sharp stab of life
And silence then again


I ask you now:
Was it worthwhile?
Was not the price too high
To stay behind 
Alone
And fly alone
And sing alone
And perch on roof tops
All alone?

The Price was You

Now that the gutters weep with molten snow
And grey grey pavement lies in blotches,
Now I can see you once again.

***********                                                                                                         ehr in Toronto


Bertstravels



No comments: