Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

WELL, ACCIDENTS HAPPEN, DON'T THEY ?


This very old and quite valuable farmer's chest,
hand crafted and hand painted was placed outside
with the cover opened, in order to get some fresh air into it
and make it smell good again.



This is the old fashioned iron locking device.

I came from the garden to go into my studio,
when I slipped and fell.
My left elbow knocked off the lid support,
my left wrist, palm down, came to rest exactly on top of the iron lock.
The heavy lid came down upon my hand and drove it
into the lock. Numbed I lifted the lid off my hand.
For a moment I sat there, not believing the gaping look of my wrist,
or the puddle of blood which formed very quickly.
At the top of my voice I called for Christin.
She came at once, applied a tournique and called our neighbouring doctor.
He hooked me onto an infusion, and bandaged my arm.
An ambulance was called which took me, sirens blaring, to the hospital.
The operating doctor told me that I was a very lucky man:
The iron prong missed my artery by the width of a hair.

So, I sit here typing this with one hand.

What did the man say? "Accidents will happen."
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Lianne said...

Between you and Steve these days...I had better watch my footing.

Bert said...

why ? what happened to Steve?

Lianne said...

fell down went boom too. Nothing so dramatic though.

Bert said...

fell down, went boom ??
Mine went more like squish...

Nancy said...

Bert, I've just now logged in to Blogspot. I rarely spend time here anymore. I found this post about your accident! Good grief! Yoiu must have been (still be in) a tremendous amount of pain! I am so sorry to think about it.

Still typing with one hand, eh? How long will it be before you can live like a normal person again? Surely typing is one of the lesser inconveniences of being one-handed.

Bert said...

hallo, Nancy...
so nice to hear from you and glad to get a comment on this injury report. I am already typing with two hands again. But I still can't play the piano... that's probably because I could not play it before the accident either.
The pain, you asked, what pain... there was no pain. My hand was numb and then a local anesthetic for the sutures...
I am almost as good as new again.
Are you posting on any of the photo sites? I'd love to remain in contact with you.
Greetings from Austria
Bert

Nancy said...

I haven't posted on RB in about a year. I go there only when I receive notice that someone has commented on one of my images. And that happens once a month or so. I have a Zazzle account, but I rarely participate there either. Only when I want to buy some of my own products. (I am truly my own best customer.)

There's a site I go to everyday called Cubits.org. I do some writing there.

I have several email accounts that I check daily. You can always find me at ecmcnanc@yahoo.com. (That's not the one you are familiar with.) In fact, drop me a line there sometime and we can get caught up on each others lives. We must both have plenty of news. It will be nice to hear from you.
-Nancy

Bert said...

Hi Nancy;
have made note of your e-mail address and will write to you there. I too have not been very active on RB.. a little on American Artists (?) but most of my pictures I use for shows I put together on the photodex site. It's loads of fun...
the shows sometimes tell a story, have musical and/or voice-over content. Then again I write a little on my Blog and keep myself busy...anyway..I'll write on your new e-mail.... strange address...
Bert