Search This Blog

Thursday, June 2, 2011

SAFARI AFRICA - 2011

As all my friends know, I've spent a month in Africa ! Last two weeks of April and first two weeks in May of 2011 I roamed around Zimbabwe and Botswana.
In Zimbabwe it was "Hwange National Park" ! With over 14,000 square kilometers, it is the largest game preserve in Zim. For comparison, (for my Canadian readers) Algonquin Park consists of about 7,800 km2,
and for my Austrian followers ( who all speak English) that's twice the size of the province of Salzburg.
Hwange has everything. Lakes, Rivers, Forests, Bush, and open Savana like areas. Any African animal you care to mention, you can almost be sure (with few exceptions) that you may find it there.
A few kilometers after we had entered the Park, a giraffe stuck its head on the long neck out from between some dense bushes, and a Zebra stood right beside it. It seemed like the official "Welcoming committee" had just come out to see us. (there'll be a pix of this couple)
First night's camp site was visited by an elephant, who casually drifted a couple of meters past our tent.
I cannot begin to number and mention all the animals we spotted, some of them at close quarters.
I'll post a few pictures and will talk to you again later.
Bertstravels.

No comments: