Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Disandat

I am getting quite busy, doing and planning things.
First to the "doing": I showed you some of the pictures of Karl Brandstaetter. I am planning to produce a similar show as I did for the artists Giselbert Hocke and Dinese. Last week I was invited to his "Vernissage" (a word I had never heard before I met these artists) and everybody who is anybody in the artworld was there. Karl had produced a "Faust Cycle"!
..to understand that, one has to know about "Faust" ... a mythical figure, who is the main character of Wolgang Goethe's major work by the same name. I will not commence a dissertation about this. Smarter people than I have spent a life time studying and writing about this epic.
Three days after this "vernissage" a friend of his and mine and I were asked to visit Karl at his home.
Some years ago, after a lengthy sojourn in Paris, Karl returned to his roots and purchased an old, delapidated house atop of a hill rise, (about 700 m elevation) and commenced to refurbish this hovel into a wonderful home. (Must have cost him a bundle)...
There is a real dychotomy in this man: His paintings are a riot of colours and forms, his home is as orderly as that of a book keeper. Even on his work bench, the tubes of paint are lined up in a row, like soldiers.
Karl is the very personification of a friendly, hospitable man and I look forward to working with him on this pending show.
Well, what else am I doing? I am studying the Operation Manual of the D700 which I purchased recently. It (the manual) is about 2 inches thick. Fortunately many of the operations of the D700 are identical to the D300. So my learning process is not as voluminous as first I feard.
What then, am I planning?
Next on the Agenda is a trip to "Cinque Terre"
Cinque Terre is an island off the Italian Riviera, noted for its beauty and preservation of the old, nay, ancient buildings, in 5 different towns: Monterosso al Mare, Vernazzo, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore. I will report in photographed detail about this trip which will commence on 14th February.
On the 12th March we shall drive to Tristach, on Lake Tristach, in East Tirol. There a friend of mine, Charly Reicheneder, will guest with his Tenorsax in a very good local Band. We were there before and this Blog contains several pictures of this previous trip.
A visit to Vienna, at a yet to be determined date is planned. ...and Vienna is always a beautiful City to visit. I wouldn't even mind to live there.
Then, yes, then on the 11th of April I will board a flight with the final destination of Harare, capital of Zimbabwe, onward to Hwange, Zim's largest Game Park, from there southward into the Okawango Delta, South to the Kalahari Desert, over to Namibia with the famed Etosha national Park, Northward along the red sand dunes of Namibia to Caprivi and finally back to Harare and then return to Bleiburg, from where I shall inundate you with pictures and reports.
So, there it is: A tough life.... but somebody has to do it.
Greetings from beautiful Bleiburg
Bert

2 comments:

Agitater said...

Bert - "vernissage" comes from the french word for "varnishing" and was originally used to describe the last minute efforts, on the day or evening before the opening of an exhibition, of a curator and artists to retouch and lightly varnish oil paintings to correct minor nicks, chips and abrasions caused during shipment and hanging. The word has now been co-opted - its original meaning corrupted by the art community - to describe a pre-exhibition gathering.

Lianne said...

Exhausted just reading this post.